Évora is located in the center of the Alentejo, its original name Ébora. It was a city defended by a strong castle and surrounded by solid walls when the army of the king D. Afonso Henriques commanded by Geraldo “Without Dread” conquered to the Moors in 1165. A new stage of growth of the city was inaugurated, that arrived To the 16th century as the second most important city in the kingdom.
From the main historical monuments of Évora, we highlight the Roman Temple of Diana, the Cathedral, the Church of San Francisco, the Chapel of Bones and the Giraldo Square.
Évora is a testimony of many styles, being over time endowed with works of art to the point of being classified by UNESCO in 1986 as a Common Heritage of Humanity.